Friday, November 6, 2009

I’m looking for someone to change my life

From “Question” composed by Justin Hayward and performed by The Moody Blues

Over the past 45 years that I have been writing professionally as a journalist, public relations man and copywriter, I have penned many articles of a business, social or religious nature for the media according to the demands asked of me. Yet deep down I have always wished to be able to apply my talents to a project of my own choice, not requested by anyone and definitely not with monetary interests in mind.


Various projects are now on the drawing board as I enter my Sixties and look forward to reduced working hours in the office. This blog is one of them and has been ongoing in the undefined back rooms of my mind in recent years. It is the result of a small journal of thoughts and reflections, some even of a spiritual nature, aimed at unravelling some of the most common questions we tend to ask in our lives, the Why’s, the Wherefore’s, the But’s.


The basic concept I have chosen for this blog is that of a series of easy to read short stories – articles, if you so prefer – which discuss various points and questions that I have come up against to date. The incidents are therefore all factual and I hope that they will be found to be helpful to whoever reads them. They are all born from a genuine search for the Almighty Good in my life and have been penned at different times of my walk and growth.
To give the articles some form of identification, I have allowed myself to be inspired by the words of various well-known songs. The titles can be extracts from refrains or verses from songs most suited to lead one into the main body of the topic under reflection. As an example, the title of this introductory post nearly came to be called “When I’m 64” after the Beatles’ hit song, but then I felt that it didn’t quite fit the bill. Instead I was inspired by a song called “Question”, composed by Justin Hayward and performed by The Moody Blues (August 1970). When you listen to it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=736fQR2DG-Q&feature=fvw - I think you will realise that though penned nearly 40 years ago it still says a lot about our way of looking at life today. We are somehow still confused and somehow still searching for something or someone that will bring us this internal peace. In those days, many turned to Far Eastern cultures to find this internal peace and spiritual uplifting. It proved a short-lived experience for most though. Today’s solution seems to be that this internal peace can only be achieved if I ignore the world around me and close it all off as I live in my own castle where no one interferes and I do what I like. I decide. I am king (or queen, of course – excuse me ladies!). But is that really the answer? I think we are somehow still reflecting on the same thoughts of those far off days when The Moody Blues sang:

  I’m looking for someone to change my life

I’m looking for a miracle in my life

And if you can’t see what it’s done to me

To lose the life I knew but to safely lead me to

The life that I once, and learn as we grow old

The secrets of our soul.

It’s not the way that you say it when you do those things to me.

It’s more the way you really mean it when you tell me what will be.



…But in the grain of a morning my mind becomes confused

Between the death and the sleeping and the world that I once knew.



In closing…a big thank you to those anonymous 50 or so visitors who logged on to my blog in the first week of its launching. Wow! It’s a great encouragement for me to continue writing. Thanks.




The Last Word?

DON'T FORGET....
Make yourself at home here, come back and read some of the older cappuccino posts too, relax, reflect.... and comment if you wish....there's a comment button at the end of each post!
I hope to see you again in a few days time. Enjoy.
Cheers!!