Friday, April 10, 2020

THE WAY TO OUR RESURRECTION / a series of thoughts for our Holy Week - 2



Jesus receives his cross

“If any want to become my followers, let them take up their cross daily and follow me…”   (Luke 9:23) 



My friend Peter told me that sometimes, when he looks at himself he sees his character as somewhat suicidal.  He says: “Sometimes I look back at what life has thrown at me and realise that everything seems to have gone wrong. Perhaps even where I go and what I do seems to be wrong.  It could, in reality, be a psychological imbalance due to the stressfulness I have had a good dose of in my life.  It could be my inborn complexes that I have struggled to overcome all my life, leaving me with feelings of inadequacy and of not appreciating what I could really do.  What I was really worth in God’s eyes”.   This is something like the experience of the prophet Elijah.  God called him for a specific task – to eradicate the worship of Baal in Israel – and yet he barely believed in his own strength, let alone what His own God could really accomplish through him.  He was therefore allowed to plod around till he had come to terms with himself and with God’s calling.   

Whenever Elijah looked back all he could see were the many people who had died because of him… persecuted prophets killed in the hope that Elijah would be one of them…. a widow’s son who died for no apparent reason after she had shown him charity and taken him in when he had nothing and nowhere to go…. her city plundered and thousands butchered because, as he saw it, it had given him refuge as he struggled with his God’s calling, Someone the inhabitants didn’t even believe in themselves.   He saw this as totally unfair and unjust.  

Why do we seem to have to suffer the same kind of fate? Perhaps Elijah was right to argue with God about it all.  And to ask him to exonerate him of this calling and find someone better qualified to finish off the job successfully.  Yet, despite it all, Elijah is said to have appeared with Moses alongside Jesus on Mount Tabor where the Messiah’s divinity was confirmed by the Father.  These two chosen Hebrew spiritual leaders had, incidentally, argued with God and struggled to accept their calling.  Yet God prevailed and they accepted their calling, their role in His plan, difficult as it may have seemed at the time.  

Jesus also suffered and struggled with this calling of the Father so that now He too was being asked to face death to save those who wanted to kill Him.  Father was telling Him: “Sonny, I want this great sacrifice from you.  Do it for me and for them. I cannot promise they will all love you for it but I will love you more than ever. Lie on this cross and when You’ll be high and lifted up on it, the world will see how worthy you really are….and salvation will be theirs.”     

1 Kings 19:3-7


Elijah was afraid and ran for his life…[and]….went a day's journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. "I have had enough, Lord," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors." Then he lay down under the tree and fell asleep. All at once an angel touched him and said, "Get up and eat." He looked around, and there by his head was a cake of bread baked over hot coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again. The angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, "Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you."

The Last Word?

DON'T FORGET....
Make yourself at home here, come back and read some of the older cappuccino posts too, relax, reflect.... and comment if you wish....there's a comment button at the end of each post!
I hope to see you again in a few days time. Enjoy.
Cheers!!