Friday, April 10, 2020

THE WAY TO OUR RESURRECTION / a series of thoughts for our Holy Week - 3


  Jesus dies on the cross 

“Father, into your hands I commend my spirit….”   (Luke 23: 46)



Have you ever died?

Or thought what it would be like to die?

They say that no one ever came back to life after he or she died but a believer knows this to be untrue.  Especially if your name was Lazarus.  Or you were Tabitha.  

So have you ever thought what it would be like for Jesus to have felt as he faced death on the cross?  He, The Almighty, with open arms outstretched to embrace all from this wooden cross. Yet the human body He was occupying now was making Him feel rather inadequate.   

What was this that was causing Him suffering? As God, He didn’t know what it really was; but as man He had discovered for Himself this weakness. His arms ached.  His knees were sore and blooded. His hands were in great pain. And numbing. This tree he had carried on His back had probably also dislodged a disk or two in His spine.   

As He felt this human life ebbing in Him He suddenly realised He was beginning to feel cut off from His Father as a result and realised too the full extent of His situation –“this is what is required of me, to suffer death on this tree. I must accept His will.  As Job had said, (13:4) I have become a laughing stock, though when he called upon God he answered that if he was a mere laughing stock, then at least he was a righteous and blameless one.  

“Unto You I therefore surrender myself. And my Spirit returns to You, Beloved Father.     


Isaiah 43: 10-13


"You are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no saviour. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed-- I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "that I am God.  Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?"

The Last Word?

DON'T FORGET....
Make yourself at home here, come back and read some of the older cappuccino posts too, relax, reflect.... and comment if you wish....there's a comment button at the end of each post!
I hope to see you again in a few days time. Enjoy.
Cheers!!